Household rubbish, like Food scraps and Garden rubbish, are estimated at between 20-30% of what gets thrown away. Organic Materials of any kind can become a valuable resource than a waste product. Composting is a really easy and economical way to keep waste away from landfills, help reduce our impact on this plant, reduce and prevent greenhouse gases and cope with landfill constraints.
A lot of daily waste can simply be re-used to enrich our gardens/soil and fertilize flower beds, gardens, and lawns.
Composting Requires Three(3) Basic Ingredients;
- Brown, Old leaves from the yard/eggshells, shredded paper is full of carbon and considered as 'brown' materials.
- Green, Any scraps such as fruit/veggie, yard/garden clippings and manure(animals/human feces) are considered as 'green' materials and rich in nitrogen.
- Water, Adding H2O to compost helps with fermentation and the breakdown process of organic material.
Benefits of Composting;
- Reduce expenses on chemical fertilizers
- Reduce methane emissions from landfills and carbon footprint
- Reduce pollution in shipping/transporting to landfills
- Enrich soil
- Reduce water consumption - Good compost retains moisture
- Suppress plant diseases and pest - balances the environment
How to make compost;
It's really simple - all you need is some garden tools(Pitchforks, shovel, water hose) and an area to mix/store waste materials.
- Identify a dedicated, nice cool, shady area in your Backyard.
- Start collecting material and add Brown/Green/Water
- Mulching/Chopping or shredding organic material - it makes the time to make compost quicker
- Moist the material as you add to the pile
- Use a shovel to mix/turn the compost
- Introduce earthworms/biological organisms/bacteria or enzymes
When the material at the bottom is dark and rich in color, it's ready to be used anywhere in your garden, lawn. Making compost depends on a few things; Temperature, Size of material, Moist content and bacterial process. Compost can be made between 4 weeks to 8 weeks. Compost is ready when it turned a rich brown color, and has decomposed into small soil-like particles.
Do Compost the following;
- Vegetables/Fruit (Peels/cores/seeds/pieces/scraps)
- Garden clippings(Leave/Grass)
- Eggs, peanut, and nutshells
- Stalks, Bark stems, and vines
- Coffee grounds and filters, tea bags
- Wood ashes (in limited amounts)
- Manure (horse, cow, chicken & rabbit)
DO NOT Compost the following;
- Biological products like Meat and fat, Fish, Poultry, Bones
- Dairy products like cheese and milk
- Plastic or synthetic fibers
- Diseased plants with fungi/insects eggs
- Vegetable/Automotive Oils/Lubricants
- House Pet Feces (Dog and cat excrement)
- Alien Weeds which have gone to seed
- Invasive, Poisonous, Pest weeds